This week, OnStrategy emails are traveling across the globe as one of our teammates works his way through the Europe.
Part of what makes our organization’s work unique is the flexibility to be complete it from anywhere with a Wi-Fi connection. Heyden, our Communications Manager, has been working remotely as he travels across Europe. Specifically, his trek includes the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany, Hungary, and Belgium.
Here are a couple highlights from his work [and play]:
- It takes a bit of planning: Heyden started planning his remote schedule months in advance. As the date approached, he tried to make it as easy as possible for the team to get work and get ahold of him while gone.
- A supportive team goes a long way: Having a team of people that encourages exploration and a flexible schedule helps create an amazing company culture.
- Google’s new cell-phone service is a must-have if you travel abroad often: He used Google’s new Project Fi while abroad. It was extremely reliable and cost about ¼ of the cost his regular provider would have charged.
- While traveling, avoid using the “A” word: Never assume anything. Just because your train ticket says “Venice” doesn’t mean the station is actually in Venice” (He learned this the hard way).
- He’s averaged about 20,000 steps a day: The best way to see a city is to walk it!
- The food is seriously something else in Italy: The Napolitans make the best pizza in the world. Period.
Here’s a picture of Heyden (and his girlfriend, Mariah) in front of the Coliseum! Happy traveling!