To write your positioning statements, follow these steps:
- Select the target customer group you want to focus on.
- Develop a list of needs your customer group has that you intend to meet (if not already included in your customer profile).
- List your product/service’s benefits that uniquely meet these needs.
- Use the lists of customer needs and product/service benefits to finish this sentence: When this customer group thinks of my product or service, I want them to think: ____________________.
- Evaluate your positioning statement by making sure it’s simple, clear, and consistent.
- Get the word out to everyone by consistently communicating your positioning message in everything your company does for this customer group.
Don’t forget: The customer himself does the real positioning by paying attention and deciding to buy your product/service. What you do have control over is assessing what positions exist in the customer’s mind and then determining which of those you have the best chance of occupying and defending based on your own strengths.