What is Auto Goal Roll Up?
Auto Goal Roll Up automatically updates goals by aggregating and calculating updates based on the current performance of its supporting goals and action items.
Why is OnStrategy Introducing this Functionality?
We created this feature to eliminate the need to manually calculate and enter performance for top-level goals within a goal stack. Updates happen in real-time as a goal’s supporting goals and actions are updated – it’s one-less place you need to update your strategic performance.
How it Works
Where Can I Turn on This New Feature?
Users will be able to activate the goal roll up in two different sections of your plan:
- When you add a goal in the planning section.
- Within the “Expanded View” on the Goal Update Page.
Options Within the Auto Roll Up Menu
There are three options for Auto Roll Up with the platform. They are:
- Manual Update: No automation will be applied. Using this option, you will need to manually calculate and enter goal performance as before.
- Auto Roll Up Using Sum: OnStrategy will automate the goal’s performance based on the sum of the children goals. This is best for Target Type # and $ measure goals.
- Auto Roll Up Using Average: OnStrategy will automate the goal’s performance as the average of the children goals. This is best for Target Type % goals.
Using Auto Goal Roll Up
If you wish to use the Auto Roll Up functionality with newly created goals, you’ll need to complete the following steps:
- Open the Expanded View: Open the expanded view and find the drop-down labeled “Tracking Type.”
- Enter the Goal: You’ll need to enter the goal description, start/end dates, the target, priority, measure, goal targets, target type, target direction, reporting frequency, YTD calculation, auto-status setting, and KPI setting.
- Select How You Want to Roll Up Goal Performance Using the Menu: You may choose between manual updates, Auto Roll Up using Average, or Auto Roll up using Sum.
- Double Check the Measures of Your Goals: Goals that you wish to Auto Roll up must have matching target types, tracking frequency, YTD calculation, target direction, and start and end dates within the same period. All the children goals will have the same structure, so make sure you’ve correctly selected the above settings.
- Add the Children Goals: As you add your children goals, OnStrategy will auto-populate the goals settings from the parent goal. The fields will be disabled and you will not be able to edit these settings unless you edit the parent goal.
Applying Auto Roll Up with Existing Goals
If you want to update a current goal to Auto Roll Up performance without our assistance, you’ll need to complete the following steps:
- Identify the Goal: Identify the goal that you would like to Auto Roll Up performance data for. We recommend starting with lower-level goals (example 188.8.131.52) and working up (example 1.1.1).
- Click to Edit the Goal: From the Track Performance page, click the pencil icon to edit the parent goal.
- Open the Expanded View: Open the expanded view and find the drop-down labeled “Tracking Type”.
- Select the Method You’d Like to Roll Up with Under the “Tracking Type” Dropdown Menu: You may choose between Manual Updates, Auto Roll Up using Sum, or Auto Roll Up using Average.
- Potential Warning Message:If you see the following warning message, update the children goals to match the parent goal’s functions. The warning message will list what needs to change on each child goal. Click the goal to update it from this warning message. Goals must have matching target types, tracking frequency, YTD calculation, target direction, and start and end dates within the same period. The platform will not allow you to roll up performance until ALL children goals have the same functionality.
- Acknowledge the Change in Data: Using this automation will override ANY existing “Actual” data in the parent goal based on the updates to the children. The platform will warn you of this override and you must acknowledge this before saving the goal. This cannot be undone.
How Do I Know If Auto Roll Up is Turned On?
Goals that are marked for Auto Roll Up will be identified with a unique character 🔄 to the right of the goal status on the Track Performance page. In the example below, 1.2 is the parent goal marked for Auto Roll Up, and the children goals – 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 – are averaged to provide an aggregated Actual. The goal owner for 1.2 would not need to update the Actual for that goal, but only enter any comments and confirm the status.
IMPORTANT Requirements to Note
Children goals must have matching structure to the parent goal. These include:
- Target Type
- Tracking Frequency
- YTD Function
- Target Direction
- Start and End Dates within the same period
If the parent goal has selected to roll up the children, the above mentioned fields will be auto-populated and disabled in the children at their creation. Enabling the Auto Roll Up feature after children have been created will only be successful when all children have the same field types listed above.
Adding Goals at X.X (depth=1)
All new organization goals will default to the YTD calculating function of “Current” versus “Sum” when creating the goal. If the goal is to sum #’s or $’s, this function needs to be changed to “Sum”.
If a parent goal is using the roll up function, the Actuals for the parent goal may not be edited and will be locked. Targets will remain editable in the goal.
Adding Children to a Parent Goal Marked as Auto Roll Up
When a user adds a child goal, automation will recognize the settings of the parent and will prepopulate/default to all of the above-mentioned fields into the child goal. These fields in the child goal will be disabled and user will not be able to edit them.
If a child goal has any differences from the parent, you will be presented with a warning. Goals must have matching target types, tracking frequency, YTD calculation, target direction, and start and end dates within the same period. The platform will not allow you to roll up performance until ALL children goals have the same functionality. The warning will identify what differs from the parent goal and you may click on the differing goals to update them.
Any user that has permission to edit a goal will also be permitted to roll up the children.
Caution must be exercised before enabling the Auto Roll Up feature, as the automation will override any existing Actual data in the parent goal based on the updates to the children.
The roll up will happen in real time and update as children goals are saved. Updates made to any child goal will also apply the change to the parent goal when saved.
Goal Levels for Roll Up
A user may only roll up one level. For example, goals at x.x.x can only roll up to x.x. A user could not roll up goals from x.x.x.x to level x.x. Nested roll ups are permitted. In this example, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3 all roll up to 1.1, but 1.1.3 has children of its own which provide aggregate data specifically for 1.1.3. This is “goal nesting”.